What is Gastroenterology?
Gastroenterology is a sub-area of the internal medicine. It often relates to the study of the function and the diseases of the digestive system and Gastrointestinal tract. According to the Gastroenterology American College, Gastroenterology involves a detailed understanding of:
- gastrointestinal organs
- digestion and absorption of nutrients
- movement of material via the stomach and intestines
- removal of waste from the body
A Gastroenterologist is the one who is a medical professional who specializes in the diseases and the conditions that affect the digestive structures and organs. These parts of the body include: esophagus, colon, pancreas, stomach, rectum, small intestine, gallbladder, liver, bile ducts.
If you want to become best gastro doctor in India, then you need to complete 3 years of internal medicine residency and after that will be after the medical school. Following this residency, they will then undertake the 2-3 years of intense, specialized training known as a fellowship.
When they become qualified, the Gastroenterologist usually work closely with the other healthcare professionals to provide extra care to a wide range of the people. A best stomach doctor in Delhi may work with the:
- Radiologists (specialists in imaging)
- Hepatologists (specialists in liver)
- Oncologists (specialists in cancer)
Why Do You Need To See A Gastroenterologist?
In some of the cases, physicians need to refer people to the medical professionals with the special knowledge. A doctor perhaps refers you to a good gastroenterologist in India if they suspect that a problem with the digestive system is triggering the person’s symptoms. The symptoms of such issues can vary. However, they may include:
- Stomach pain
- Difficulty swallowing
- Nausea and vomiting
The Gastroenterologist will then use their knowledge to assess the person and recommend the treatment and management if necessary.
What Conditions Do One Gastroenterologist Treat?
Gastroenterologist play a role in the diagnosis, medical procedure and the management of people with the conditions:
- Gallbladder problems
- Colon Cancer
- Colon Polyps
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Heartburn/ Gastroesophageal Reflux
- Disease of Celiac
Gastroenterologists perform several procedures to diagnose, manage conditions, and treatment. The procedures include:
When an endoscopy is performed, a Gastroenterologist uses the camera that attaches to a long, thin tube known as endoscope to look inside the body. They then insert the endoscope through the mouth and down the throat, into the esophagus. It will send images back to a screen for monitoring.
Then stomach specialist doctor in India will perform an endoscopy to investigate the symptoms such as: bleeding, nausea and vomiting, issues with swallowing, weight loss, stomach pain, and persistent heartburn.
Colonoscopy & Sigmoidoscopy
These procedures are same as the endoscopy. However, they require the gastroenterologist to insert the tube into the rectum than the mouth. The doctor can see the entire colon and rectum during a colonoscopy. The sigmoidoscopy only permits them to examine the rectum and lower colon.
During this process, gastroenterologist might be looking for: causes of the bowel habit changes, early signs of the colon or rectum cancer, and the causes of specific symptoms, like rectal bleeding, abdominal pain, or weight loss.
During a polypectomy, the doctor will remove one or more polyps from the lining of the bowel. Polyps are the noncancerous growth that can develop on the colon. They are several common, impacting 30 percent of those over the age of 50 years in the United States. The Gastroenterologist or doctor will either remove the polyps with wire loop forceps or use the electric current to burn them off during a colonoscopy.
During the time of Esophageal dilation, the doctor will stretch out a narrowed area of the esophagus. The acid reflux can scar the muscular tube, narrowing it and making it hard for the person to swallow food. Then the layers of excess tissue, esophagus cancer, and scarring from radiation treatment can all lead to the same issue. The doctor may sedate the person for the procedure. They may alternatively, apply a local anaesthetic spray to the back of the person’s throat.
The Medical Trip is associated with top gastrology doctor in India who are located in the different cities. International patients are welcome to consult with a gastroenterologist for more information online before preparing the travel agenda for the treatment and other things such as seeking best doctor for gastroenterology in India. For assistance and more info about travelling to India for medical treatment, you can reach out to The Medical Trip and we will assist you in the best ways possible.
We Offer –
- Gastroenterology mainly focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the digestive tract stomach, esophagus, small intestine and colon, liver and pancreas. The best gastroenterologist doctor in India is dedicated to helping patients worldwide recover from the digestive-related diseases. Treatment plans suggested by highly experienced doctors are systematic and integrated, making sure each patient receives the best care.
- The clinical team of the surgical and medical gastroenterologist are experienced and highly skilled in minimal access procedures. These include Myotomy of achalasia cardia, cholecystectomy, intestinal resections, appendectomy, splenectomy, and the laparoscopic hernia repair. The institute offers comprehensive treatments for the complex disorders, including endoscopic pancreatic biliary disorders, inflammatory bowel disease, motility disorders, liver diseases, esophageal disorders, and swallowing.
- The best gastroenterologist in India and hospitals features state-of-art medical tech including the Aida Touchscreen facility, Aparoscopic Argon Beam Laser and Tissue Link, robotics the harmonic scalpel, and comprehensive blood bank facilities. The top gastroenterologist in India can be found in 6 cities: Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Bengaluru, Ahmedabad. International patients who need surgery or transplant as part of their treatment can consult with a doctor online to learn more about the liver transplant programme, minimal access surgery of the intestines and hepatobiliary tract and endoscopic procedures.
Max Super Speciality Hospital, Saket, New Delhi
Chairman, Fellowship, MS, MBBS, 38 years of experience
New Delhi, India
Max Super Speciality Hospital, Saket, New Delhi
Director, MBBS, FRCP, 23 years of experience
New Delhi, India