What is Liver transplant ?
A liver transplant is a kind of surgery in which a diseased liver is replaced with a healthy liver from another person. In this a whole liver or just part of one can be transplanted. In most of the cases the healthy liver comes from an organ donor whose brain is dead. .
The liver is the only organ in the body that can replace an injured tissue. The donor’s liver started growing back to normal size after the surgery. The part that has been received as a new liver will start growing to normal size in a few weeks.
A liver transplant, also called a hepatic transplant. From adrenal liver disorder or severe liver failure, it includes a whole lot of many added benefits. The liver transplant cost in India is more affordable as compared to other countries.
After liver disorder without medical treatment, then one might be eligible for a liver transplant. Given below are some of the diseases suffering from which you might have to face liver transplant:
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
- Alcoholic liver disease
- Fatty liver disorder
- Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Wilson’s disease
- Formerly failed liver transplant
- Polycystic disease
- Liver cancers
- Primary biliary cirrhosis
- Acute liver disease
Types of liver transplant
More than 80% of live donor liver transplants happen in India in comparison to western states where roughly 90% of transplants are from dead donors.
Deceased Donor transplant:
– If in case the patient is brain dead, then he’s deemed dead along with his liver being transplanted.
– After fitting the dead person’s blood dimension and number, the liver has been transplanted into the needy person who comes on the waiting list.
– As the liver has the power to regenerate, it’s divided into two parts and transplanted into two patients at once – a kid and an adult.
Liver Donor Transplant:
– If a lobe of the liver has been transplanted in a live donor to replace a diseased liver, then it is called the living donor transplant.
–In this case the donor must be a direct relative such as parents, children, grandparents, spouse.
– The liver starts regenerating/regrowing to the regular dimensions and this procedure begins when the liver is divided or transplanted.
– It almost takes 2-3 weeks for the entire of their liver to regrow to its original dimensions.
Requirements and Evaluation: Live Liver Donor
- Liver organ donation is the best gift for any human if required. There are some rules and regulations r must adhere to the regulations and rules from the Indian authorities from donor and receiver. .
- Only certified physicians possess the authority to do a liver transplant surgery..
- Cadaver transplants must be performed only from brain dead men.
- In the event of a brain dead patient , if cells, both are to be eliminated, then it needs the consent of their board of health care specialists prescribed by the Act and the Rules thereunder.
- Liver contributions from relatives must be invited more rather than non-near comparative.
- State government has set up a Coordination Committee to manage all transplant-related problems that require the existence of the parties.
- If the donor is not related by blood, then there must not be any industrial angle supporting the contribution that is eliminated by the consent committee appointed by the authorities.
Procedure of Liver transplant
Preoperative Evaluation Process For Liver Transplantation
Procedure of liver transplantation is a long step, so one must be positively prepared and must have a positive mindset before any kind of treatment. There are so many tests and are performed step-by-step that starts with the receiver’s evaluation. When the receiver is qualified for transplantation, the search for donors starts based on their own blood collection.
If the donor is qualified , it requires clearance from the consent committee to move farther in the process and the transplantation generally goes in about 2-3 weeks.
1: Pre-transplant Recipient Evaluation
– After the patient is diagnosed with coronary artery disease disorder and needs the transplant, the transplant group performs various evaluation tests like CT scans, blood tests along with other tests to move forward at the operation of their heart, lungs and other organs.
– The test generally takes 7-10 days.
2: To Pick The Donor
– Selecting the donor is the most crucial portion of the whole procedure. The donor must fulfil some of the standards given below:
– According to the Act a relative must be related by blood.
–If the contributor is non-related by blood, then it must require approval by the government-appointed authorization committee together with clarifying that there’s not any industrial angle involved.
– Age must be between 18-55 years without any obese difficulties.
– The donor’s liver dimensions must be sufficient enough to give it to the needed one.
– blood collection must be compatible together with the receiver
– fitting and HLA testing must be performed prior to the consent committee meeting.
The above-mentioned procedure must be handled mentally, emotionally, and financially by family and the needed one. Thus, they must be powerful enough to cope with this type of circumstance. Reach out to experts for the affordable and best cost of a liver transplant.
Test for Pre transplant evaluation
There are some test performances before going for transplant surgery. Here are some of the specific tests given.
- A general health exam- To evaluate the overall health Cancer screening test
- Laboratory test- Urine and blood test for health organ
- Imaging test- Ultrasound of the liver
- Heart test- Patient’s cardiovascular system
- Nutrition counselling with dietitians- Access of nutritional status
- Psychological evaluation- To determine anxiety, depression
Risks And Complications: Post-Liver Transplant Management
Sometimes some risk also happens post the liver transplant . There are two major complications That Have to be Cared for and are given below:
- Organ Rejection:
- The immune system cannot distinguish between the transplanted liver and undesirable viruses and bacteria and start attacking the transplanted liver.
- More than 30% of liver transplant patients suffer a certain level of organ rejection in the initial year.
- physicians prescribe anti-rejection drugs or immunosuppressants to prevent any kind of organ rejection when the immune system attacks the transplanted organ.
–Anti-rejection drugs suppress the immune system and the transplanted liver patients slowly become prone to ailments.
– Eventually these illnesses go away by themselves.
– Many people don’t experience any disease in any way, whereas in other circumstances, infections are treated efficiently as they’re diagnosed.
- The body rejecting the new liver
- Bile Leakage
- The transplanted liver not working within the first few hours, requiring a new transplant to be carried out as soon as possible
- An increased risk of picking up infections
- Loss of kidney function
- Problems with blood flow to and from the liver
- An increased risk of skin cancer
Side effects of Anti-rejection medication
Post the liver transplant, medications for the rest of your life are necessary to help prevent your body from rejecting the donated liver. These anti-rejection medications can cause a various of side effects:
- Bone thinning
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
Anti-rejection drugs work by suppressing the immune system of the human body, they also increase the risk of getting infected.
Factors Affecting in Liver Transplant Expenses
There are lots of factors affecting the liver transplant surgery cost for their medical care. Along with the price gap, the type of health care facility provided is also one of the motives.
What is the cost of a liver transplant in India?
It’s essential to consider the cost of any major surgery before the treatment of the patient. Sometimes a person suffering from end-stage liver disease, organ transplant becomes the only way to save the patient’s life.
Patients must check their insurance plans before opting for liver transplant. The average cost of a liver transplant can range between 20 – 25 lakhs approximately. This includes the pre and post -transplant evaluation. Given below are some of the factors that affect the liver replacement cost.
- Organ Recovery and Transport Charges
- Hospital Infrastructure and Technology
- Expertise of skilled surgeons, their teams and use of advanced techniques
- No of days patient stay in the hospital and the type of of room opted
- Any health complications
- Recovery and Rehabilitation
- Post-transplant Medication
Patients who don’t live in the same city where they are getting the transplant, they must be fully prepared for the expenses for the stay as well as the transplant cost. Many patients and their families find the house on a short-term lease near the hospital area. These costs will get added up over..
Life Expectancy and success rate of Liver Transplant
After the liver transplant procedure people might be eager to know what is the life expectancy after the transplant. The liver transplant success rate in India is increasing year by year. Success and life expectancy rates have increased from the last two decades as per the experts report. .
- Success Rate: 88%
- Increased lifespan of 1 year: 86%
- Increased lifespan of 3 years: 78%
Cost of Liver transplant
Liver replacement cost depends on places, cities, hospitals and medical facilities provided by them. Given below is the cost of liver donation price in approximate value of some of the transplant surgeries centers nationally and internationally.
- Liver transplant cost in Delhi- 18 lakh
- Liver transplant cost in Apollo – $ 35000
- Liver transplant cost in the USA -20 – 25 lakhs.
- Liver transplant cost in Ahmedabad- Rs 13,00,000/-
- Liver transplant cost Mumbai- Rs 2250000/-
Basically, there are large variations in the liver transplantation cost as per the report. There are many factors which affect the liver donation price. The study shows that there is a cost variation of the liver transplantation and clinical follow-up of the United States and India. Estimated mean cost of a U.S. liver transplantation was more than 25 lakh as compared to upto 25 lakh in India. There are many procedures involved in this transplantation. Post liver transplantation many things must be kept in mind and proper health care must be taken. Life expectancy is increasing day by day. And the doctors are doing great in this field. Sometimes it becomes necessary to get a liver transplanted so that you can live some more years. Paper work is done before the donation of liver. Take proper medication, post the transplant and stay healthy.
- How long can you expect to live after a liver transplant?
Approximately 75% of people undergo liver transplant surgery, they live for at least five years post the surgery. In simple words we can say that out of 100 about 75 patient will live for five years and 25 will die within five years
- Is Liver Transplant Successful?
Yes as compared to previous year liver transplant is becoming more successful by each passing day. According to a study , people who have undergone liver transplant have an about 89% percent chance of living after one year.
- Can you live a long life with a liver transplant?
You cannot live for a long life with a liver transplant but for every 100 people who receive a liver transplant for any reason, about 75 will live for five years and 25 will die within five years. People who receive a liver from a living donor often have better short-term survival rates than those who receive a deceased-donor liver.
- Does insurance cover liver transplant?
Also, it is advisable to choose an insurance policy with an appropriate sum insured while considering the cost of the treatment. Does Insurance Cover Liver Transplant? Yes, it covers liver transplants as well under its different insurance plans. The terms and conditions might vary across different insurance plans
- Can you live without a liver?
Liver is one of the important parts of a human body and it is so vital. No, you cannot live without a liver but it is possible to live with only part of the liver.
- What disqualifies you for a liver transplant?
If a patient is diagnosed with aggressive cancers such as lymphomas, bone cancer, bile duct cancer,and myeloma type cancer. Or if you are facing failure of other organs apart from the liver. Otherwise irreversible brain damage or disease with severe untreatable Liver, lung, and heart diseases.
Summary for Liver transplant cost
Liver transplant is the transplantation of the diseased liver with healthy liver. It is done to increase the life efficiency of the human being for approximately 5-6 years. As you know the liver is one of the most important parts of the body but we can live with one liver for some span of time. And sometimes it becomes necessary to get the liver transplanted. Cost of liver donation varies according to the hospital and countries. Liver transplant cost in India is approximately Rs 20-25 Lakh. Pre and post medication is required after the transplantation. In most of the cases the liver matches with the closed relative and after that paperwork is required for that. If you will not take medication after the transplantation then you can suffer various problems such as Diarrhea, Headaches, Bone thinning, Diabetes, High blood pressure, High cholesterol. You can also take some insurance plans for your medical treatment. You can read more about liver transplant costs only at the medicaltrip.